Animal husbandry and its importance - class-VIII
|Description: animal husbandry and its importance|
|Number of Questions: 53|
|Created by: Vaibhav Pathak|
|Tags: health and disease food production trends in economic zoology animals in daily life biology food production and management natural resources and agriculture economic importance of plants and animals let's regain our fields cell biology and biotechnology improvement in food resources applied biology strategies for enhancement in food production production of food from animals zoology|
Animal husbandry and plant breeding programmes are the examples of
So, the correct
answer is 'Artificial selection'.
Which of the following is a drought breed of Indian cattle?
Which of the following animals is used for drawing sledges, tracing criminals, guarding sheep, leading the blind?
The dog is a domesticated canid, which has been selectively bred for the millennium for various behaviors, sensory capabilities, and physical attributes.
Animal husbandry deals with
Earliest animal domesticated by primitive man was
Dogs are the earliest animals made as pets. The first potential evidence of dog domestication dates back to 30,000 B.C., in the form of a wolflike creature found in a cave in Belgium. Other evidence suggests dogs weren't domesticated until thousands of years later. Before they were pets, dogs helped human hunt and cats helped guard grain supplies by keeping rats and mice away. Eventually, people started to treat these animals more like pets. At present human-canine bonding is the mutually beneficial and dynamic relationship between human and dogs that is studied by psychologists, anthropologists and ethologists.
The science of rearing, feeding, care, breeding and utilization of animals is called as
The branch of science dealing with the study of various breeds of domesticated animals and their management for obtaining better products from them is known as animal husbandry. The term husbandry derives from the word husband which means one who takes care. When it incorporates the study of the proper utilization of economically important domestic animals, it is called as livestock management.
Apiculture is rearing of
The doctor who treats animals is called _____________
How many types of bees are present in a beehive?
How many hours cows sleep in a day?
Cows sleep for approximately 4 hrs a day
Cattle husbandry is done for which of the following purposes?
(ii) Agricultural work
(iii) Meat production
(iv) Egg production
- Cattle husbandry is defined as the management of cattle by humans for monetary gains, yielding good quality and quantity milk, help in agriculture and farming and give a huge quantity of meat.
- The milch animals like buffaloes, cow, she-goat gives milk and the other cattle which do not give milk like bulls are called draught animals as they help in farming like tilling, cart driving and irrigation.
- Cattle husbandry includes only cattle and not hen and duck hence no egg production happens. therefore (i), (ii) and (iii) points are correct but the (iv) point is incorrect.
Animal husbandry and plant breeding play a major role in our efforts to increase______________
- Animal husbandry is an agriculture branch that cares for animals in feeding, caring and breeding. It is helpful to raise animal food products like milk, egg, meat, wool, etc.
- Plant breeding is also an agricultural branch that helps in increasing yields to a very large extent and to produce disease-resistant varieties of plants.
Branch of agriculture concerned with rearing, breeding and economic exploitation of livestock is___________
- Animal husbandry is defined as the agricultural practice of breeding and raising livestock.
- Poultry such as chicken, duck, quails, etc., are reared for eggs and meat. Animals such as cows and buffaloes are reared for milk.
- Goats are reared for milk and meat and sheep are reared for meat and wool.
Milk production in cattle depends on
B. Food type
C. Milking time
- Milk production in cattle depends on the lactation period which means till what period/duration the female produces milk, food type it affects as what type of food she is eating and is nutritious milking time is in a day how many hours it gives milk, and also breed to which breed does it belongs, like a Jersey which is a high milk yielding milk
Which of the following is obtained from animals?
- Wool and meat both are obtained from animals. Wool is obtained majorly from sheep, camel, yak, and goats.
- The wool obtained from these animals are soft and valuable. It is used to make sweaters, shawls, blankets, and jackets and provide protection during cold weather.
- The meat is majorly obtained from chicken, cow, pigs, lamb, rabbit, duck and deer.
- The consumption of meat provides all essential amino acids and keeps blood sugar levels stable due to its fat and high protein content.
- The amount of fat content provides the flavor to the meat. Milk acts as a source of calcium and is obtained from cow, goat, etc.
Cattle husbandry is done for the following purposes:
B. Agriculture work
C. Meat production
D. Hide production
- Cattle husbandry is done for the milk production, for agricultural work in the farms, meat products like beef, hide production (their skin is removed and collagen is extracted from it.)
Which of the following does not yield wool?
- The wool is obtained from the body of many animals. Yak, sheep, camel, goat are the common animals that produce fur on their body which can be obtained and used in the production of wool.
- The woolly dog is not used for yielding wool. These are the dogs that are found in the cold regions.
Complete the correlation.
Silk worm : Cocoon : : wool :
As silk is obtained from the cocoon of the silkworm. Wool is obtained from the fleece of sheep.
Like humans, the hairy skin of the sheep has ........ type of fibers.
- The sheep produce two types of fibres which can be used for the production of wool. The coarse type of fibres is produced near the chin like a beard. The smooth form of fibres is produced on the skin which is used for the production of high-quality wool.
Yak wool is common in_____________
- Yak wool is common in Tibet and Ladakh it is produced from the coat hair of the yak.
Find the odd one out.
- Carrot is the vegetable that is obtained from the modified form of the root of the plant.
- The milk, curd, and honey are the sources of food that are obtained from animal resources. Milk is a product of milch animals.
- The curd is obtained by bacterial fermentation of milk by microbes. Honey is the product of honey bees.
Wool does not come from_________________
- The wool is obtained from the body of many animals. Yak, sheep, camel, goat are the common animals which produce fur on their body which can be obtained and used in the production of wool.
- The lion does not produce fur. These animals are not used for obtaining wool.
Angora wool is obtained from______________
- Angora is the wool produced by Angora rabbits that are found in many countries.
- However, the main commercial production of Angora wool is from China and Chile.
- It is obtained by shearing the rabbits. No other animal produces Angora wool. Thus the correct answer is option C.
- Man is an omnivorous species and depends on other plants and animals for food, many animals like fowl, fish, pig, etc are used for foods like egg, chicken, beef, pork, etc.
In animal husbandry, selective breeding is used for______________
- Animal husbandry can be defined ad to the practice of selectively breeding and raising livestock to promote desirable traits in animals for utility, sport, pleasure, or research.
Animal-based farming includes _____ farming
Animal-based farming includes different types of farming like cattle farming, goat farming, sheep farming, poultry farming, and fish farming.
Local breeds _____ show excellent resistance to diseases
The correct answer is 'Option a and b'
Animals require regular ______
The correct answer is 'option a and b'
Milk production can be increased by _____ the lactation period
The lactation period is the period of milk production after the birth of a calf when the lactation period has increased the production of milk also increases.
Cattles should be sheltered under well-ventilated roofed sheds that protect them from______
Proper shelter facilities should be there for the cattle, the shelter should be well-ventilated roofed sheds to protect them from heat, cold, and rain.
____ is selected for long lactation periods
Foreign or exotic species like Jersey and Brown Swiss are used for long lactation periods in cattle husbandry.
The food requirements of dairy animals ______
The correct answer is 'option a and b'
Cows are classified in _____ categories
cows are classified as draught breeds in this type the males are strong and used for the agriculture purpose and the cows are having poor milk yields, Daily breeds are called milch and they have high milk yields and the dual purpose breeds they have average milk yields and the males are very useful and strong.
The floor of the cattle shed needs _______
The correct answer is 'Option a and b'
Which of the following is a milch animal?
Animals which are reared or domesticated for milk and are rich in production of milk are called as milch animals. In India, the primary milch animals are cows, buffaloes, goat and camel. Thus, the correct answer is option D.
Meat or egg yielding animal is
Which of the following is true for animal husbandry?
What is the name given to the domestication of bees?
The raising and care of bees for commercial or agricultural purposes is known as apiculture. It is the maintenance of honeybee colonies, commonly in hives, by humans. A beekeeper keeps bees in order to collect honey and other products of the hive (including beeswax, propolis, pollen and royal jelly) to pollinate crops. A location where bees are kept is called as an apiary or bee yard. Hence, option B is correct.
Elephants are poached for their
African elephants are considered as the world's largest land animals. Despite a ban on the international trade in ivory, African elephants are still being poached in large numbers. Their ivory tusks are the most sought after, but their meat and skin are also traded. The ivory is often carved into ornaments and jewellery. China is the biggest consumer market for such products. Hence, option D is the correct answer.
This is an exotic variety of honey bee
Rearing of bees is
Which one is correctly matched
Rearing of bees is
Rearing of bees is called as apiculture. It is called as beekeeping. It deals with the commercial production of honey by maintaining man-made honey bee colonies. Sericulture is also called as silk farming. In this, silkworms is cultivated to produce silk. Silviculture deals with the cultivation of trees. Horticulture deals with the garden cultivation and management. So, the correct answer is 'Apiculture'.
Arabian Race Horse has developed through
The Arabian is the original race horse. When the English breeders wanted to add speed and endurance to their horses, they turned to the Arabian. The result was the Thoroughbred. But the Arabian was the source, its blood and spirit created the Sport of Kings. Hence, Arabian Race Horse has developed through human efforts.
Stilbestrol is used for :
Infertility of local breeds of cattle can be overcome by use of ___________.
Gonadotropin releasing hormone is a decapeptide that plays a vital role in regulating the reproductive processes. Release of this hormone from hypothalamus occurs in a pulsatile fashion and it is regulated by various internal and external signals. GnRH has its primary effects at the pituitary gonadotrope and stimulates the the gonadotropins luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH).
Which one of the following is an exotic breed of dairy cows?
- Indigenous breeds of an organisms means the organism is native to the area.
- Such breeds are developed in a particular area.
- Frieswal, Sahiwal and Dangi are indegenous breeds of diary cows whereas, Jersey is an exotic breed (belonging to another region).
Amruthmahal, Baragur, Deoni and Harian are breeds of
Amrit Mahal is a breed of cattle, which is originated from Halikar breed cattle. Deoni is a native breed of cattle in India. Baragur is the breed of cattle native to the bargur forests hills.
Stock-farming refers to
The gestation period of elephant is about
Smaller species normally have a shorter gestation period than larger animals. For example, a cat's gestation normally takes 58-65 days while an elephant takes nearly 2 years (22 months). The average gestation period of an elephant is about 640 to 660 days or roughly 95 weeks. Elephants have the longest gestation period of all mammals.
Cattle fed with spoilt hay of sweet clover which contains dicumarol ..........................
Sweet clover poisoning is caused when feeding moldy sweet-clover hay or silage that contains dicoumarol. Dicoumarol is a toxic compound that is produced through weathering of a normal component of sweet clover called coumarol. It is the dicoumarol that causes the sweet clover poisoning, preventing normal blood clotting and causing extensive hemorrhaging. When sweet clover becomes spoiled or is improperly cured the coumarol is converted to the toxic substance dicoumarol. This toxin interferes with the metabolism and synthesis of vitamin K.
Which of the following is the environmental impacts of animal agriculture?
- Animal agriculture is responsible for 20%-33% of all freshwater consumption in the world today. Animal agriculture is the leading cause of species extinction, ocean dead zones, water pollution, and habitat destruction.
- Animal agriculture contributes to species extinction in many ways. In addition to the monumental habitat destruction caused by clearing forests and converting land to grow feed crops and for animal grazing, predators and "competition" species are frequently targeted and hunted because of a perceived threat to livestock profits.
- The widespread use of pesticides, herbicides and chemical fertilizers used in the production of feed crops often interferes with the reproductive systems of animals and poison waterways.
- Animal agriculture is responsible for up to 91% of Amazon destruction.
Put a tick mark against the correct alternative in the following statement :
Which one of the following is the common breed of buffalo is found in Gujarat?
Mehsana is a dairy breed of buffalo found in Mehsana town in Gujarat. The breed is evolved out of crossbreeding between the Surti and the Murrah. The milk yield is 1200-1500 kgs.